[mdlug] [Hardware] Replacing an LCD backlight

Michael Corral micorral at comcast.net
Wed Jan 20 12:00:06 EST 2010

Not Linux-related, just wondering if anyone here has ever replaced the
backlight tube/inverter on an LCD. For several months my Samsung SyncMaster
930B would be dim and flicker for several minutes when it gets powered on,
then it would come up to full brightness. But this morning it flickered
briefly then went black. I've checked the video and power cables, they're fine.

I looked up on the web to find that LCD backlights have a lifetime of about
40k hours, which is about 55 months. I've had mine for 56 months, and the 3-year
warranty has long since expired. I'm curious if it would cost more to have the
backlight replaced than just getting a new 19" (or larger) LCD. If anyone here
has any experience with this I'd appreciate any info you have. Thanks.

Michael