[mdlug] Adobe FileOpen Plugin Security Risk?

Peter Bart petertheplumber at att.net
Fri Jan 15 15:28:22 EST 2010

Hi Everyone,
	Today I downloaded a manual from <http://www.techstreet.com/> that
required I install a plugin to be able to read it from
<http://plugin.fileopen.com/all.html>. As best as I can figure out it's
some sort of DRM. I ran the installer from the shell, and it had to be
root. Then I found <http://www.fileopen.com/pdf_plug_in_faq.php#a9>, but
I'd allready ran the installer. I know I should have checked a little
more thoroughly, but here I am. Below is the screen output from when I
ran the script, and I still have the installer script as well. It
doesn't look like I compromised my system, but this is not my area of
expertise. Anyone want to venture a guess? Anyone heard of this before?

plumber-notebook:/home/peter/Downloads/adobe/file_open_inst/FileOpenInstaller # /home/peter/Downloads/adobe/file_open_inst/FileOpenInstaller/commandline_installer.sh

*************** FileOpen Plug-in Installer ***************

Removing any old installation files...
Removing any previously installed plug-ins...
Trying to read Acrobat Reader version...
Path to executable : /usr/bin/acroread
Acrobat Reader version 8.1.7 found.
Checking if ./FileOpen.AR8.api exists...yes
Using FileOpen plug-in from current directory...
Checking if downloaded ./FileOpen.AR8.api exists...yes

Installing plug-in for current user...
Correcting permissions...
Installation was successful.
plumber-notebook:/home/peter/Downloads/adobe/file_open_inst/FileOpenInstaller #

--
Best Regards,

Peter The Plumber