[mdlug] Compression and Archiving

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Tue Jan 12 11:41:32 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:43:04AM -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> If you care about your data either (a) don't backup to DVD or (b) make
> multiple copies of each disc.

also, use par2 on the DVDs.

 http://parchive.sourceforge.net/

> Tape is cheap, tape is reliable... buy a tape drive.

Indeed.

as long as you can find a working drive for whatever tape format
you choose (hint, choose the market leader), tape is the most likely
thing to be readable 20 years from now.

this is one possible option:

  http://www.jakeludington.com/project_studio/20050828_backup_files_to_dv_camera.html

but i don't necessarily trust the idea; it's not clear to me that dv video media
is bit-level reliable.  It's not clear to me that it's not, either.

Hmm, this problem has been addressed:

  http://www.s.netic.de/gfiala/dvbackup.html

re: hard drives:

They are probably more reliable than burned DVDs.  Long-term, though,
they're nowhere near tape.

danno
--
dan pritts