[mdlug] Compression and Archiving

Michael Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 11 16:29:26 EST 2010

FWIW, I would still look at disk-to-disk backup.  Check out the Bacula manual, which has a tutorial.  One could use a usb device or SATA drive, and the convenience, speed, reliability, restore times, etc. would be superior to trying to physically manage many DVDs.

Once you fill up a 1TB drive, you could probably set it in a vault and start a fresh one as a new volume.  However, you certainly would not need to swap your backup drive nearly as often as a DVD.  If my math is right, you would be swapping 100-200 DVD's before matching the capacity of a single 1TB drive.  And that is not considering the additional space for unused blocks on the DVD's.