[mdlug] Open Source accounting software

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 11:50:54 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Stan Green <Stan at mcomputersolutions.com> wrote:
> OK since you ask, SAP on Linux does a great job for accounting.

Good to know and something to consider when the business really takes off.

> However is like asking what is the best car. (Chevy Camaro, of course.) Everyone
> has different requirements and taste. The first thing your friend needs to do
> is define what he wants an accounting package to do. Then take that data and
> look for a package to solve the problem. Picking a software package without a
> good understanding of the problem is like buying a car because someone else
> likes their's! Maybe their requirements are simple and something like GNUCash
> would work, or maybe the requirements are complex, like inventory and
> depreciation, so they need something more powerfull. You will not know until
> you get the requirements.

Excellent suggestion.  In fact, I like that for choosing any kind of
software not just accounting.

> On a side note, if they are starting a business and know nothing about
> accounting, this is a big red flag. There is a reason people have to go to
> college to become an accountant. As a business owner, I would recommend they
> find a good accounting firm to guide them through the first few years. This
> would allow them to focus on the business rather on making sure they are
> following Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (GAAP). Once they have a
> good understanding of the type of accounting they need then they can start
> looking to take on the work themselves.

In other words, go with what the accountant recommends?

Actually, what most of my friends are doing is asking friends of
theirs that operate a similar line of business what they do.  "Joe
runs a coffee shop and uses XYZ software.  Since I want to run a
coffee shop, I'll use XYZ software, too.  If I run into any issues, I
can buzz Joe."  And those recommendations go beyond software into
other products and services.

Regards,
- Robert