[mdlug] Need an iptables rule for bypassing a proxy

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 20:22:26 EST 2010

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Jim Broughton <jbroughton at twmi.rr.com> wrote:
> I think if you replace the -i lo with -s 192.168.0.x (or whatever you use as
> the
> machines IP address) you should be all set.
>
> The iptables command you have in your email executes with "-i lo" replaced
> with "-s 192.168.0.24" (my machines local ip address for eth0) and returns
> no errors. Give it a shot.
>
> Of course I may be wrong but give it a try. If not we'll try something else.

Thanks.  I did get an answer from the Netfilter IRC that worked:
OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 8080 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 3128

Basically I needed the output chain, not preroute.  This works locally
which solves my problem.  I'm not sure if it would work on a
firewall/proxy/router with a downstream PC.