[mdlug] Is the "Wintel" monopoly slipping away?

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Sat Dec 25 00:10:05 EST 2010

Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> When you have to jump through such hoops to NOT buy something
> then yes, the product which you do NOT WANT TO BUY is a monopoly.
>
> Any reasonable person can see that.

Actually the US courts said so.  Dubya forced the justice department to
drop the court ordered judgment against Microsoft.  I have not forgotten
this.

Windows meets all the requirements for a monopoly in the legal sense.

The hoops I had to jump through to get a non-windows laptop were pretty
amazing.  However I did.  I should not have to refuse a EULA and hope
for a refund on a product I do not want and do not need.  That is non
competitive as the courts decided.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

Those persons, or societies, easily offended need to be offended until they get over it.
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org