[mdlug] The financial & legal danger of wireless in the house...

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Wed Dec 15 12:39:45 EST 2010

> From: Aaron Kulkis

> Now a retired engineer was sued for $300,000 by the MPAA
> for downloading two movies that he's never even heard of.

It's worth noting that 'really excellent' security is not strictly
necessary in this regard. Our wifi has a strong password, and is placed
in such a way that very little signal reaches off our property. But that
wouldn't stop the NSA... nor, necessarily, a nearby teenager with time
and a cantenna.

But there are, within range of our property, five other networks last I
checked, two of which were unencrypted. Unless an intruder was
specifically targeting us, there's no reason to go to the trouble of
breaking into our network when there's nearby low-hanging fruit.

The point being, just about *any* security is substantially better than
none *for this particular problem*.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                              (313) 227-2317

 "Once in a while you will stumble upon the truth but most of us manage
   to pick ourselves up and hurry along as if nothing had happened."
                       - Winston Churchill