[mdlug] OT win antivirus

Bruce Smith blubdog at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 08:57:27 EDT 2010

>> So what free anti-virus software are people using these days?

I did a informal speed comparison among free AV software in my Windows
VM's (just by feel, no real benchmarking software).

It appears to me that Microsoft Security Essentials runs the fastest
by far (i.e. slowed down the system the least).

I also know some Windows geeks, and a guy who does Windows PC helpdesk
professionally, who have switched from AVG and Avira to M$ Security
Essentials.  Also M$SE has no ads.

Someday I need to research commercial AV software.  I'd also be very
interested in a detailed comparison of what extra features are added
in commercial AV products.

 - BS