[mdlug] Backup Solutions

Robert Adkins II radkins at impelind.com
Tue Aug 17 12:00:24 EDT 2010

I would like to review something that is a little more "automatic" than what
I am using right now.

What am I using right now? Custom scripts to copy data from the live server
to the back-up external Hard Drives, manually confirming the backups and
swapping out the external drives every couple of days.

What I would like to see/use is a simple GUI (For those times when I am on
vacation so that I can put the task into the hands of a "skilled" user.)
that can show what has been backed up, what needs to be backed up and may
have features for things like incremental backups and also some of kind of
basic version control so that if certain files that are updated daily
suddenly become irrevocably corrupt, there will be a copy at least 24 hours
old that can be restored.

Is there anything that features any of the above currently available either
OSS or commercially available for Linux?

--

Regards,
Rob