[mdlug] Periodic backup software (dis)recommendations

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Mon Aug 16 10:49:25 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 08:54:51PM -0400, Carl T. Miller wrote:
> I use and recommend backuppc.  It's like rsync and cron
> on steroids.  And it lets you see the history of files
> over time.

I'm a fan of BackupPC too.

Note, however, that it is difficult to replicate the backuppc
data store; it makes extensive use of hard links, so duplicating
the backuppc filesystem via traditional means takes FOREVER.

OTOH you can just use dd to dup the entire filesystem to another
disk.

This reminds me, make sure you use a filesystem with dynamic inode
allocation (xfs, jfs), or if you are stuck with ext3 make sure to
create the filesystem with lots of inodes, many more than
the default.

danno