[mdlug] Periodic backup software (dis)recommendations

John Wiersba jrw32982 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 15 23:21:20 EDT 2010

I would recommend backing up to an external disk or server, not using CD or
DVDs.  There are many reasons to do so, one of which is the convenience of
accessing your backup for restoring files or just exploring previous backup
points.

Up until recently, I used a variation of rsync called rsnapshot (a perl script
which calls rsync).  It keeps snapshots of your backed up data using hard links,
so that unchanged files do not take up any extra disk space in subsequent
snapshots.

Now, I just use rsync directly with a little shell wrapper, for greater control
over my specific requirements.  On modern systems rsync can handle the hard
linking itself -- you just need to determine the directory to hard link to
(namely, your most recent snapshot directory):

   /usr/bin/rsync -a    \
      --numeric-ids     \
      --relative        \
      --delete          \
      --delete-excluded \
      --link-dest=$PREV \
      $EXCLUDES         \
      $FROM             \

You can add -x and -H if appropriate.  PREV is the previous snapshot directory,
EXCLUDES is a list of exclude options (optional).  FROM is the source
directory.  TO is the new snapshot location.