[mdlug] my laptop can't mount my file system (SuSE 11.1) Urgent!!

Dr. Robert Meier list1c30fe42 at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 11 13:31:30 EDT 2010

Ching-Yi,

 >>> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Ching-Yi Hsieh<cymed2 at yahoo.com>
wrote:
 >>> My laptop can't mount the file system.
 >>> The message  showed
 >>>  "fsck failed.  Please repair manually [and] reboot."
 >>> Please give me  some advice how to deal with it.
 >> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 2:57:29 PM, Jeff Hanson<jhansonxi at gmail.com> wrote
 >> Boot a LiveCD (or USB),
 >> preferably the same distribution/version you have installed.
 >> Open a terminal and login as root ("sudo su" on > Ubuntu).
 >> Then run fsck against the drive [partition]
 >> (probably located at /dev/sda1 or sdb1 or something).
 >> Read the fsck manual page first ("man fsck").
 >> You will probably want the -p option
 >> but it depends on the problem and filesystem type.
> I put LiveCD in CD drive.
 > It loaded Linux kernel directly and entered to the pre-installation
interface.
 > However, I don't want to re-install, but want to fix my problems.
 > Now it is getting worse. I can't log in the root to do anything.
> Please give me some advice. This is urgent.
 > I am willing to pay the labor fee to any of you to help me this.
Thanks a lot.

I suspect the confusion lies in the phrase "Boot a LiveCD",
by which Jeff Hanson meant to use a rescue system.
Most distros include a "LiveCD" (or set of LiveCDs) that allows one to
   demo the distro without installing (usual default)
   install the distro
   self-test the media
   perform computer repair operations

A "LiveCD" used for repair purposes is also known as a "Rescue System".
Some distros use the demo as the rescue system.
Some distros (notably openSuSE) provide a more sophisticated rescue
system on a separate disk.  Some distros (notably TomsRtBoot) are
intended primarily as a rescue system.

If you cannot identify the menu(?) option to use the LiveCD as a rescue
system rather than an install, please identify the distro (e.g. Ubuntu,
Fedora, Mandriva, ...) that you are using, and someone familiar with
that distro should be able to tell you specifically where to find
the option (disk(?) and menu(?)).

Hopefully helpful,
--
Bob