[mdlug] Help Updating Asus BIOS Using Afudos

Peter Bart petertheplumber at att.net
Sun Aug 8 20:35:53 EDT 2010

Hi,
	The particular model I have; T91MT; does not come with ez flash or
Linux. Since I blew away Windows in favor of UNR 10.04 I was a little
stuck. But here is what eventually succeeded for me. Download afudos and
the .rom bios file to ~/Downloads. Delete everything else in there or
use another location. Rename the .rom file from T91MT-ASUS-0601 to
T91MT.ROM. Please note use of all upper case.

Either on the system to be updated or another, please note instructions
assume Ubuntu/Debian is used.
>From <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=318789>  M2: CD with
changes to include afudos. With help from
<http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:updatebios#upgrade_mechanisms>, the part
about afudos. Get afudos from here
<http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/AFUDOS219.zip>. Alternatively
you can go to
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us, select
Desktop PC/Commercial/T5120 and then Search. Select DOS in the popup
box, expand bios utilities and you'll be able to download a later
version. I'm not sure exactly what part it plays but it's provided by
<http://www.freedos.org/>. I couldn't find just afudos there. Make sure
you don't copy a lot of other stuff into /tmp/cdr you don't want before
you unmount that directory. This may come from the users /home
directory.

code:
wget http://www.fdos.org/bootdisks/autogen/FDOEM.144.gz
gunzip FDOEM.144.gz
mkdir /tmp/cdr
sudo mount -t vfat -o loop FDOEM.144 /tmp/cdr
#sudo cp ~/Downloads/T91MT-ASUS-0601.rom /tmp/cdr
#sudo cp ~/Downloads/AFUDOS.exe /tmp/cdr
sudo cp ~/Downloads/* /tmp/cdr
sudo umount /tmp/cdr
sudo apt-get install mkisofs
mkisofs -o T91MT.iso -b FDOEM.144 FDOEM.144
cdrecord -v T91MT.iso

This should hopefully create a bootable .iso cd. Boot from cd and follow
directions at
http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments_content.aspx?no=546&SLanguage=en-us.

code:
afudos /iT91MT.ROM

This has fixed my resume problem, which I was inclined to believe it
would not based on Asus's changelog. But there you have it. To get my
Asus to boot from the external cd/dvd drive, during boot enter the bios
(F2), select boot>boot device priority. Make sure the external drive is
listed, esc to exit, exit saving changes (which were none), during
reboot enter boot selection by pressing esc and select the drive.

--
Best Regards,

Peter The Plumber