[mdlug] 12V Overcurrent/voltage Protection

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at opengroupware.us
Mon Apr 26 11:43:07 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 10:07 -0400, Peter Bart wrote:
> Good Morning,
>     I'm getting more and more stuff that has car chargers. The tipping
> point was my new netbook. I figured it had an inline fuse in the
> lighter plug. It does not, and neither do any of the other chargers I
> dug up at home.  I remember these car chargers having a small inline
> fuse, from days gone by. Am I being to paranoid?

Yes.  Modern automobiles are loaded with solid-state electronics and
have solid-state voltage regulators to provide [regulate] that current.
Your automobiles voltage isn't nearly as dirty or variable as it used to
be.

I wouldn't worry about it (and I don't, in practice).  [I remember the
days of installing line noise filters and such things, but those days
are long gone].