[mdlug] OT: the great IPv6 debate

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Fri Apr 23 17:16:16 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 04:55:34PM -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> So, just use IPv4 forever?  And there will be protocol overlap for at

I said something along the lines of "it's all about the address
space.  All the rest is gravy."

So, no, don't use ipv4 forever.  but let's not get ourselves worked
up about how this is the greatest thing we'll ever do; it's a big pain
in the ass, but a necessary one.

I think it's gonna be ugly for a few years, though, when the address
space runs out.

> If there was no IPv6 connectivity your client should not have acquired a
> routeable IPv6 address.

should not != did not

this happened to some of my users somehow.  I think it was when
people moved from our wired net (has v6) to our wireless net
(braindead, v4 only).  Might have just been a problem with XP.

I've also read that certain apple airport base station/routers
had a bug wherein they advertised v6 connectivity when there was none.

just a bug in a stupid router, yes.  Exacerbated by bad application
software behavior.

regardless of the above, it happens much more frequently that the
ipv6 internet is fragmented (even though ipv4 connectivity is still
available to the site in question).  Borked routing somewhere,
usually.

it's a vicious cycle; nobody uses v6, so the providers don't notice
when it's broken.  So, nobody uses it, because it's broken.

danno
--
dan pritts
danno at umich.edu