[mdlug] Something's eating my /home partition

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Tue Apr 20 08:16:43 EDT 2010

On 4/20/2010 5:57 AM, Carl T. Miller wrote:
> David McMillan wrote:
>> this remind anyone of anything?  Or does anyone know of a good way to
>> list all files and/or directories in a partition sorted for size?
>
> To find 20 largest files at least 1 gig in size:
> find /home -type f -size +1G -exec du -m {} \; | sort -nr | head -n20
>
> To find 20 largest directories:
> find /home -type d -exec du -sm {} \; | sort -nr | head -n20

	...I rebooted, and /home went back to normal size.  What.  The.  Heck.
  I am completely baffled.  Happy, but baffled.

	Still, the last time this happened to me, using 9.04 on this same
machine, rebooting most definitely did NOT fix this problem.  So I'll be
keeping these posts for future reference.  Thanks, everyone.