[mdlug] Something's eating my /home partition

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Fri Apr 16 21:59:14 EDT 2010

	I have never had this happen before on any of my other Linux machines,
but this is the second time it's happening on this one, on installs of
two different versions of Ubuntu.  So far, I can't find the culprit, or
a way to fix this.

	I use this machine as a headless file server, so I keep almost nothing
in the /home directory, which has its own 45GB partition on the boot
drive.  All of the served drives are physically separate drives.

	And today, I logged in, and discovered that my /home directory was down
to 0% free.  It was something more like 60% or better the other day.
There's nothing in my /home directory but my own home, and lost+found,
which is empty.

	I had about 2GB of working files in my home directory.  I eliminated
them, and got back some free space according to df -h, although only a
few hundred MB.  A few minutes later, df -h showed my /home partition to
be back to 0% free.  But I don't have any programs running aside from
the samba and ssh server daemons.  According to the Disk Usage Analyzer,
my own home directory only has 92MB of contents.

	I'm stumped.  There's nothing that explains this.
I looked for ballooning log files in /var/log, but the total of all the
log files was only a couple gigs.

	Since the unique thing about this machine vs my other linux boxes is
that it's a server, my guess is that this is somehow related.  But I
can't find *what* is eating up all the space in the partition.  Does
this remind anyone of anything?  Or does anyone know of a good way to
list all files and/or directories in a partition sorted for size?