[mdlug] Recovering damaged EXT2

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Wed Sep 16 19:54:27 EDT 2009

Michael Mikowski wrote:
> Dave --
>
> This does bring up a good point: perhaps it is time to go back to the original drive?  Sure it might be hosed, but perhaps /less/ hosed than the one you dropped on the floor.  Have you tried the same amount of due diligence on that drive?  You might have better luck with that.

    The first drive died without warning with the "click of death," and
won't even show up as a valid partition to gparted.  This drive, OTOH,
seems tantalizingly close to recovery -- a nondestructive badblocks test
came back with no errors.  But fsck can't seem to do anything with it,
and the vague error message when I try using e2fsck -b is very frustrating.
> You might consider "soaking" either drive in the fridge for 4 hours before spinning it up.  This has worked for me before, and have been able to recover data until the drive warmed up.

    I'm probably going to try that, but these are 1TB drives that were
at around 90% capacity.  I don't know if the freeze will last long
enough to do a full rsync on that much data.