[mdlug] Recovering damaged EXT2

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Tue Sep 15 21:39:37 EDT 2009

	So, one of the two big USB drives I've been using as a poor man's
RAID-1 (using periodic rsync) died, and I bought a replacement and
immediately began a fresh rsync to copy the remaining drive to the new
one.  No big deal... except that, thanks to a dangling cord and careless
footwork (my own), the remaining drive of the original pair fell off the
table and hit the floor.  It *seems* okay -- no weird noises, parted
recognizes its filesystem (ext2) and size, but....
	Now, when I try to mount it, I get a "bad superblock" error.  If I try
to run fsck or e2fsck, I get "the superblock is corrupt" and a
suggestion to run e2fsck with the "e2fsck -b 8192 <device".  But if I
try that, I get a "device busy" error message, even though the partition
is not mounted and no other process is accessing that drive.

	So... am I screwed?  Or are there tools that might allow me to recover
what was on this drive?