[mdlug] Scanning help

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 11:43:31 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Garry Stahl <tesral at wowway.com> wrote:
> Help!  I have 18 very old sheets of paper in the size of 18" x 12" I
> need scanned.  Kinkos wanted over 200 dollars to do what is at most 20
> minutes work.  Most places do not have scanners that can handle the
> paper size.

Scanners that size are more than an order of magnitude more expensive
than your "normal" scanner.  They are probably trying to recoup their
investment.

> (Most of the flat bed scanners in copy ships are 17" x 11".
>
> I need 300 dpi, PNG preferred JEPG will do.
>
> Does anyone have access to a color scanner than can do the job?

Any chance of doing 4 overlapping scans of each page and then
stitching the images together[1,2]?  You could then use a standard
8.5"x11" flatbed scanner.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_stitching
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_photo_stitching_applications_(software)

Regards,