[mdlug] "Device busy" errors and RAID setup issues

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Mon Nov 23 10:27:39 EST 2009

Jeff Hanson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 8:06 PM, David McMillan <skyefire at skyefire.org> wrote:
>>        That's a whole lot of action in quick succession.  I'm no expert, but
>> it looks like the system starts a resync, generates a fault (no idea
>> why, I hadn't even put any files on it yet) and begins background
>> reconstruction.
>>        *Then* there's a NewArray event, which doesn't make any sense since
>> that array was a good 24hrs old at this point.  Unless it's some sort of
>> flag that an array is new and hasn't been used yet?
>>        Then, finally, there's a RebuildStarted event, but as I understand it,
>> that should have shown up in /proc/mdstat.
>>

> I suspect NewArray message is just info, not an error.  I'm not sure
> what else I can do without being local.
>
> Assuming a bug report at this point you should probably try the exact
> same steps with the previous distro release and see if it works.  Also
> try a different distro.

	Yeah, I'll have to try that next, but it's not looking good.  I managed
to build a test RAID1 out of just sdb1 and sdc1, but on the next reboot
the array was degraded -- sdb was "busy" again.  I've gone through the
same process a few times with the other disks, and it just keeps
happening -- random disks just end up "busy" for no reason at all every
time I reboot.  It really is starting to smell like a mobo SATA issue.