[mdlug] Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Sun Nov 22 01:30:23 EST 2009

Dan Pritts wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:54:23PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
>
>> Perhaps the early 68000 systems were slow -- I don't know 'cause I
>> never used a NeXT 68000 pizza box.  I spent 3 yrs as a developer using
>> NeXTSTEP on Intel hardware and it was decently fast.  Of course that
>> was about 10 yrs ago and hardware was slower then now.
>>

> I used an original 68030 next cube with 8M RAM, let me tell you that was
> slow slow slow.
>
> The 68040 2nd generation cubes and slabs were much better.  The 040 was
> a faster chip, but just as importantly the newer hardware shipped with
> 16M ram.

I loved the performance of that chip in the Amiga 4000.  I have both a
040/25 and an 040/40.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? -Mohandas K. Gandhi
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org