[mdlug] Laptop repair question

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Tue Nov 10 12:35:09 EST 2009

Ingles, Raymond wrote:
>> From: Raymond McLaughlin
>
>> Rather than the flash lamp itself I would consider that it could be
> the
>> voltage converter/regulator module that has failed. This is very
> common,
>> and can be easily replaced as it it a snap in, in line part.
>
>  Is there any way to tell the difference before opening it up?

Not without instruments and skills beyond my own. I would base my
considerations on:

  Likely hood of part failure
  relative expense of replacing each part.

You might google around for similar failures on similar modles to see
what worked for other people. My, admitedly limited, experience points
to the regulators typically failing long before the flash lamps them
selves. Also, these regulators are typically $15-$20 parts, while the
flash lamps are typically upwards of $60.

In either case I would recommend lifting the bezel and inspecting for
signs of damage or physical failure. Also make note of any identifying
numbers on the parts. A given make/model of laptop may have gone through
any number of variations in the particular parts used. So use the
identifying numbers on the parts themselves to get your best match.

I have had good luck with this vendor: <http://www.getpartsonline.com/>
though you might want to google the part numbers independently just to
get an idea of availability and any possible "gotchas".