[mdlug] "Device busy" errors and RAID setup issues

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Mon Nov 9 20:09:29 EST 2009

	Not sure what I have going on here.  I've built myself a (intended)
RAID server with five SATA 1TB drives dedicated to the RAID array
(separate dedicated boot drive), running Jaunty Jackalope (I tried a few
server-dedicated distros, but JJ is what I'm comfortable with).  The
HOWTOs I've found on the net make building a RAID array using mdadm
pretty simple, but I keep getting "Device or resource busy" on one or
more of the RAID drives when I try to do an mdadm build.  What's really
odd is that the "busy" drive(s) are different each time I reboot the
machine.  These drives have been fdisk'd to auto-detect RAID partitions,
are completely empty, and are not mounted -- never *have been* mounted,
for that matter.  Running an lsof turns up nothing using any of the
/dev/sd* drives aside from the boot drive.  'tis a pozzlement.

	The other problem is that when I experimentally tried creating a RAID
array out of the drives that *weren't* busy, some odd things happened.
The array built successfully, as far as I could tell -- no error
messages, and it showed up as an active /dev/md0 in /proc/mdstat, but
when I rebooted the computer, mdadm won't show /dev/md0 as an active
array device, although it'll accept start/stop commands.  Trying to
build the array again from scratch yields a bunch of "device appears to
already be part of a RAID array" error messages.  Thing is, I can't seem
to get rid of the old array so I can start over again.