[mdlug] Laptop repair question

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Mon Nov 9 14:34:37 EST 2009

Robert Adkins wrote:
>>  My niece handed me her Sony VAIO (can't remember the model
>> number), and I confirmed that the backlight isn't working.
>> You can, in bright light, sometimes see a shadowy image, but
>> that's it. Things show up fine on an external monitor, though.
>>
>>  Now, a little Googling has shown I can get a replacement
>> CCFL bulb for ~$12, or a whole screen for $90-$100. I'm
>> pretty sure the backlight is the only real problem; the LCD
>> panel itself seems to be working okay.
>> I'm reasonably sure I can disassemble and reassemble it, but
>> I'm not sure what's involved in replacing the bulb; I haven't
>> done that before.
>>
>>  Has anyone carried out a similar repair? Any tips or suggestions?
>>

> 	You should only have to replace the bulb. Often times those are just
> held in place by a few screws or clips and connected to the power source via
> a plastic connector and sometimes they are soldered into place.
>
> 	It will take you anywhere from 2 to 3 times as long to complete as
> you initially believe it will take.
>
> 	While performing the job, get yourself one of those little pill
> boxes with 7 or more cups. To help in putting it back together, maybe create
> some rough sketchs of the laptop showing the position of which screws and
> then which of the bins you put those screws into. If you don't... You're
> going to stand an inordinately high chance of ending up with more screws
> left over than you should.

Download the service manual.  This are invaluable when taking a laptop
apart.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? -Mohandas K. Gandhi
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org