[mdlug] Speedy Older Pentium 3 on openSUSE 11.1

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Sun Nov 8 11:33:55 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 11:16 -0500, Al Fuller wrote:
> Peter:
>
> In looking at your post, I think I will try to revive an older laptop
> myself!  I'm new to Linux and have a question - I've already downloaded
> OpenSuse 11.1 and burned a disc.
>  - Is there any special process to use to load xfce as the window manager,
> as opposed to something heavier?
>
> Thanks in advance!!
>
> Al Fuller
> al at bighealey.org
> '62 BT-7
> '65 BJ-8
> '85 Rx-7

	Nothing special, select XFCE when asked which window manager you would
like. Other than that, the defaults should be fine. Once you get the
hang of it, openSUSE allows a lot of customization. I did find out that
XFCE does not allow a user to suspend, hibernate or shut down. Only root
can do that. I did find several workarounds for that, but did not yet
try them out. If I remember, XFCE does this on purpose. I'll have to get
it out myself again. Good luck.

--
Peter Bart <peter at petertheplumber.net>
Peter The Plumber