[mdlug] Router - now power.

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Fri Nov 6 12:16:54 EST 2009

> > 	If that's really the case, then why is anyone bothering
> to produce
> > any wind power generating equipment.
> >

> Because the EPA and DoE are PAYING people to make these
> uneconomical contraptions.
>
> Without subsidies, their true costs are exposed, and they're
> just not profitable.  The Europeans wasted billions on these schemes.

  I think that if you mix Wind Power with Solar, Hyrdoelectric and Nuclear,
there is a potential for cleaner energy to be spread across the globe.

  Wind isn't great all the time, neither is Solar. Both types of power
generation can compliment one another.

  Yes, storage of power is an issue. Batteries and capacitors both need to
take technological leaps to be more efficient and long lasting.

  Even with subsidies, I find it difficult to believe that Wind power
technology is so expensive that it is otherwise a futile path.

> Windpower will never do anything more than nip at the edges
> of the total electric load.  Even if we had a 500 MW
> windpower farm, we would still have to build another 500 MW
> conventional or nuclear
> boiler+steam turbing power plant to cover when there is no wind.
> And since these steam-powered plants literally take days to
> go from offline to online, there's basically NO SAVINGS to
> building giant wind farms (other than killing birds and
> ruining the view).

  This is why you don't just build a Wind power only installation. You mix
it with Solar and as methods to more efficiently store the energy become
available, you build more renewable sources of generation to go above and
beyond the peak so that the energy can be stored for later, when less is
produced by wind or solar.

  -Rob