[mdlug] OFF OFFTOPIC Sigfiles

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Fri May 29 18:37:12 EDT 2009

Michael Corral wrote:
> 2009-05-29, Monsieur Dan Pritts a ecrit:
>> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:58:39PM -0400, Robert Jim Fulner wrote:
>>> BTW: . "No one here cares
>>> about your political views (or those of anyone else).", is not actually an
>>> accurate treatment as that would exclude me. I care about the political
>>> opinion of each and every one of you.
>> It's also an untrue statement on the face of it.
>>
>> If the writer didn't care about your political views, they wouldn't
>> care what you have in your signature file.
>
> Not true at all. I'd say the same thing whether a signature was an ad
> for the Democratic Party, Republican Party, Libertarian Party, Loony
> Party, etc. Explicit calls to join a political party (of any stripe)
> should be left off this list, in my opinion, whether they are part of
> a signature or the main body of an email. It's just in bad taste.
>
> For example, MDLUG list moderator Garry Stahl has a pro-Libertarian bit
> on his website (<http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/Politicks/whatis.html>),
> but I've never seen an explicit call to join the Libertarian Party in
> his posts to the list (please don't start now, Garry! :).
>
> Michael

I disagree with you here Michael. I regard signatures like  bumper
stickers. I wouldn't expect anyone to take a sticker off their car to
come to a meeting, and I don't expect anyone to change their sigfile
just to  post to our list. If you disagree with one that you see write
your own in reply. Or just ignore it. Personally I find the commercial
advertisements that some mail services affix more objectionable than
anyone's considered opinion. But it's really not worth taking issue with.

Too much issue has been take as it is.

Raymond McLaughlin