[mdlug] Compuware - Ford - Jobs Available

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 13:41:28 EDT 2009

Robert Adkins wrote:
> [...]

You've heard stories of people being told that they're
going to be layed off, and that their separation benefits
are dependent upon training their replacements from India?

In almost all cases, that's Wipro or a similar company.
They are the number one abuser of the H1-B visa program,
using it to displace citizens, which is in contradiction
with U.S. law.

About 10 years ago, when I first heard that the H1-B program
was being abused, I didn't believe it...but then I started
seeing more and more evidence that supports the accusation.
It's being used to displace American IT workers, not
supplement, which is the purpose of the program.

Watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

	Immigration attorneys from Cohen & Grigsby explains how
	they assist employers in running classified ads with the
	goal of NOT finding any qualified applicants, and the
	steps they go through to disqualify even the most
	qualified Americans in order to secure green cards for
	H-1b workers. See what Bush and Congress really mean by a
	"shortage of skilled U.S. workers." Microsoft, Oracle,
	Hewlett-Packard, and thousands of other companies are
	running fake ads in Sunday newspapers across the country
	each week.

	[This was originally put up by the law firm advocating
	this illegal (fraud) tactic themselves]

	Lawrence M. Lebowitz, VP of Marketing - Cohen & Grigsby
	giving a presentation on how to specifically AVOID getting
	any annoying job Applications by U.S. citizens so as to
	(fraudulently -- by conducting an employee search in bad
	faith) justify applying for H1-B slots.

Recently, an economic official in the Indian government
made a statement that they consider cramming as many
of their own citizens into our H1-B program to be an
essential part of the Indian government's long term
economic plan (for one, they are bringing back a large
body of knowledge of both business practices AND also
every project outsourced to India becomes one in which
the Indian engineers gain enough knowledge about it to
take off and replicate the project themselves -- Motorola
recently (and STUPIDLY, I might add)  got burned doing
this.  Idiot managers trying to save a few $, or inflate
the headcount of subordinates on their resumes)

ICE crackdowns are starting  (finally after 10 years!)

www.ice.gov/pi/nr/0902/090212desmoines.htm

	The H-1B Fraud Rate: Over 20%, Says USCIS
	For those just joining us, the H-1B program is
	a provision in U.S. immigration law which brings
	65,000 educated workers (mostly tech guys from
	India) to the U.S. each year, with regulatory
	restrictions in place to ensure:

	1. H-1Bs can only be hired for jobs where 'no
	qualified American can be found' and
	2. H-1Bs must be paid market rates so as not
	to depress tech salaries.

	Critics argue neither provision ever gets enforced,
	and in practice H-1Bs compete directly against
	American citizens at cut-rate prices, making life
	miserable for IT workers.

        [SMOKING GUN HERE:]
	The issue leaped back into the spotlight when Senator
	Chuck Grassley (R-IA) called Microsoft (MSFT) on the
	carpet for advocating for an expansion of the H-1B
	program mere weeks before beginning thousands of
	company-wide layoffs.

	[Here we are in the midst of a recession, in which
	IT talent has around a 10% unemployment rate, and
	this year's H1-B allotment was, as usual, consumed
	in ONE DAY].

Fortunately, enforcement is starting to take place:

Federal government started doing investigations about 2
years ago; arrests are starting to take place:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20090311/bs_bw/mar2009db20090310197597
	[excerpt]

	Part of that growth includes the U.S. headquarters of
	Pacific West, an IT consulting firm that employs both
	U.S. and H-1B visa workers from overseas. It is
	there, in a nondescript six-story office building at
	2600 Aurora Ave., that dozens of skilled workers,
	mostly from India, were supposed to be working in
	2004 and 2005.

	But according to a federal lawsuit filed on Dec. 16 in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa, some of those who came to work for Pacific West didn't get to enjoy the town's charms, or the computer programing or engineering jobs they expected to fill. A federal grand jury charges that in fact many of the workers wound up on the East and West coasts, working for companies that had nothing to do with technology.

	Coordinated Federal Investigation

	Two Pacific West executives, Vishnu Reddy and Chockalingam Palaniappan -- also referred to as "Chuck Pal" in court documents -- are charged with filing false documents with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and U.S. Labor Dept. to take advantage of the lower wage requirements in Iowa.

	Critics of the worker-visa system have long claimed
	it is gamed by companies to replace skilled U.S.
	workers with lower-paid foreigners. But the
	allegations against executives at Pacific West -- as
	well as those at four other companies under
	investigation -- reveal the mechanics of a specific
	scheme that allegedly allowed employers to
	fraudulently cheat H-1B visa workers of their proper
	wage rates. Lawsuits have been brought against
	individual companies for H-1B visa fraud in the past,
	but allegations against Pacific West and other
	Iowa-based companies point to what may have become a
	common scheme to underpay H-1B visa workers by
	misrepresenting their geographic work location.

	[Translation: Violating the relavent immigration law,
	they were paying the H1-B workers BELOW the 50th
	percentile/prevailing wage rate -- which means that
	they weren't brought in for any specific skill, but
	just so management could reduce payroll costs].

	Details of this alleged fraud emerged as the U.S.
	Attorney for the Southern District of Iowa announced
	the arrest of 13 people in six states connected with
	five IT services companies, and the indictment of one
	company, Vision Systems Group, following a
	coordinated federal investigation. Vision Systems
	Group was ordered to forfeit $7.4 million that it
	allegedly obtained through fraudulent means. Three
	other technology companies -- Worldwide Software
	Services and Sana Systems, both based in Clinton,
	Iowa; and Venurisoft of Clive, Iowa -- remain under
	investigation for document fraud, prosecutors said.
	Vision Systems Group, Worldwide Software Services,
	and Sana Systems did not return phone calls and
	e-mail messages seeking comment.

www.ice.gov/pi/nr/0902/090212desmoines.htm

(excerpt below)

	Federal authorities, with assistance from state
	and local law 	enforcement, served search
	warrants at addresses in Urbandale and Clive,
	Iowa; in Santa Clara, Rancho Cucamonga and
	Arcadia, Calif.; and in South Plainfield, N.J.

	This investigation involves companies that sponsor
	primarily H-1B non-immigrants, or temporary workers
	in specialty occupations that require a particular
	expertise. The companies that are the subject of
	this investigation have asserted that the foreign
	workers have been brought to the U.S. to fill
	existing vacancies. However, the companies allegedly
	have not always had jobs available for these workers,
	thereby placing them in non-pay status after they
	arrive in the United States. In some cases, the
	foreign workers have allegedly been placed in jobs
	and locations not previously certified by the
	Department of Labor, displacing qualified American
	workers and violating prevailing wage laws.

	The companies and foreign workers have allegedly
	submitted false statements and documents in support
	of their visa petitions. The false statements and
	documents were mailed or wired to state and federal
	agencies in support of the visa applications. The
	companies are suspected of visa fraud, mail fraud,
	wire fraud, money laundering and conspiracy.

	"The foreign labor certification programs are
	designed to permit U.S. employers to hire foreign
	workers to fill jobs essential to American
	businesses," said Daniel R. Petrole, deputy
	inspector general, U.S. Department of Labor.
	"Our agency remains resolute in its commitment
	with its law enforcement partners to investigate
	fraud committed against these Department of Labor
	programs."

	U.S. businesses use the H-1B program to employ
	foreign workers in specialty occupations that
	require theoretical or technical expertise in
	specialized fields, such as scientists, engineers,
	or computer programmers. As part of the H-1B
	program, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
	and the Department of Labor (DOL) require U.S.
	employers to meet specific labor conditions to
	ensure that American workers are not adversely
	impacted, while the DOL's Wage and Hour Division
	safeguards the treatment and compensation of H-1B
	workers. Congress sets a numerical cap for the
	admission of skilled workers into the U.S. The
	current H-1B cap is set at 65,000 visas per
	fiscal year. H-1B aliens can work in the United
	States for three years, with an option for an
	additional three years (for a maximum of six years).

	Those arrested Wednesday by ICE agents include:

	1. Shiva Neeli, arrested in Boston, Mass.;
		charged with conspiracy and mail fraud.
	2. Ramakrishna Maguluri, arrested in Atlanta, Ga.;
		charged with conspiracy and mail fraud.
	3. Villiappan Subbaiah, arrested in Dallas, Texas;
		charged with conspiracy and mail fraud.
	4. Suresh Pola, arrested in Pennsylvania;
		charged with conspiracy and mail fraud.
	5. Vishnu Reddy, arrested in Los Angeles, Calif.;
		charged with conspiracy, mail fraud and
		wire fraud.
	6. Chockalingam Palaniappan, arrested in San Jose,
		Calif.; charged with conspiracy, mail fraud
		and wire fraud.
	7. Vijay Myneni, arrested in San Jose, Calif.;
		charged with conspiracy and mail fraud.
	8. Venkata Guduru, arrested in New Jersey;
		charged with conspiracy and mail fraud.
	9. Praveen Andapally, arrested in New Jersey;
		charged with conspiracy, mail fraud,
		wire fraud, and making false statements
		in an immigration matter.
	10. Amit Justa, arrested in New Jersey; charged
		with conspiracy and mail fraud.
	11. Karambir Yadav, arrested in Louisville, Ky.;
		charged with conspiracy and mail fraud.

Other cases

http://www.happyschoolsblog.com/7-arrested-h1b-visa-fraud/

http://www.clintonherald.com/homepage/local_story_043100615.html?keyword=leadpicturestory

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24114

Newjersey followed by Mass now - few more people arrested for immigration fraud
Federal, state and local authorities are tightening the noose on H1-B fraud schemes in the United States, where the Customs and Immigration Service claims 1 in 5 H1-B visas are obtained under false pretenses. New Jersey and Massachusetts are the most recent focus of H1-B fraud scams.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Government-...SM03032009STR3

In the scheme, four men were charged Dec. 4 with producing
documents falsely stating that H1-B visa applicants had a
job with the Commonwealth when, in fact, they did not.
Richard Schwartz, a now former Massachusetts' employee,
signed the documents and is charged with one count of
visa fraud, which brings penalties of up to five years
in prison time and a $250,000 fine.

Sridhar Reddy, Sudha Rani and Venkat Naidu are also charged
with one count of visa fraud. Reddy and Rani face additional
charges of visa fraud totalling up to 15 years of prison.

----
Some additional ideas on how to make this program almost or 100% fraud free. All H1B/L1B applicants will have to clear exams like TOEFL/GRE/GMAT/SAT or something on their lines and score above a certain number. Only then will they get a visa. Of course, it goes along with other stringent measures proposed like proof of a "genuine" job et al. To avoid fraud, the exams should be conducted like they are with an F1 so no one can game the system by having someone else appear for the exam. This way the pseudo-IT frauds (like the ones who did NIIT after BA/BSc) will be vetted and thrown out in the application stage itself. I am not being arrogant here but I'm also tired of being categorized with these people inspite of having a Computer Engineering degree (4-YEAR) from a reputed college.

I myself have appeared for one of these exams and scored well. So I am not scared of these, neither should be the genuine candidates. What say?

---

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/03/fbi-arrests-dc.html

	FBI Arrests DC Official

	March 12, 2009 11:23 AM

	Before the crack of dawn Thursday morning, more than
	a half-dozen cars and SUVs full of FBI agents pulled
	up to the northwest, Washington, DC, home of Yusuf
	Acar, the head of IT Technology in the Washington
	DC city government's Office of the Chief Technology
	Officer.

	The FBI agents, wearing bullet proof vests, presented
	a search warrant to Acar, handcuffed him and arrested
	him.

	They then began searching his home. Acar's
	mother-in-law came to take away his three young
	children while his wife remained in their house.

	Also this morning, agents began searching the office
	of the Chief Technology Officer.

	Vivek Kundra -- who last week was appointed Chief
	Information Officer by the Obama administration -- is
	Acar's former boss, having served as the city's Chief
	Technology Officer until early February.

	No other information was forthcoming from the FBI.

	-- jpt
	User Comments

	I'm from India and would not give a second thought
	on the involvement of Mr.Kundra in this bribery. It's
	the way we spoiled our country and its disheartening
	to know that these people are spreading this epidemic
	all over the world. If the one that gave bribe is an
	indian, for sure he would have given it taking this
	guy into "consideration".

	Please don't deport them back to India. They will
	bribe here and become free.

	We already have enough corrupt politicians and
	businessmen. WE DON'T NEED MORE.

Widespread resume "enhancement" has been a characteristic of H1-B abuse, and oftentimes disastrous off-shore outsourcing projects involving India and IT.  Then comes THIS:

http://seeker.dice.com/olc/thread.jspa?messageID=96313
	I found my resume with another person's name on it.

	I have heard of this, and even dealt with some *ahem*
	offshore individuals trying to game the interview
	process for gathering marketplace information.
	But I never thought I would see an *ahem* offshore
	name using my resume.

	Can anyone spot the change in writing style, or
	formatting?  Or the fact that the person was employed
	at a company in CO from March 2007 - Present and a
	company in IL from Aug 2007 to December 2007.

	Here is the copy,

	<http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/res/989968402.html>

	and another resume with the same reference to

	Business Analyst/Programmer, Sapphire Technologies & Air
	Methods Corp - (Mar 2007 - Present)

	<http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/res/989476579.html>

	Here is a google search result with at least two results
	using the phrase above.

	<http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Business+Analyst/Programmer,+Sapphire+Technologies+%26+Air+Methods+Corp+-+(Mar+2007+-+Present)%22&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGIH&filter=0>

	Resume mill? I cannot overstate fact. Fake listings? Of course.

http://seeker.dice.com/olc/thread.jspa?messageID=80012
SKundu    	Posts: 28	Registered: 2/26/07

	Re: 8 months on bench with SAP ABAP what to do

	In my previous company, I worked with many H1B visa
	holders .One of them was arrested by US Immigration
	Department. Later on we learned what was happened to him

	- In fact , the highest degree he had - Indian High
	  School Diploma.
	- He had no real job experience.
	- He did false job experiences , false Master's degree
	  on his resume.

	Technically this is a US Immigration Fraud (obtaining H1B
	visa through false resume, false degree)

	Somehow US Govenment found the fact & he was arrested
	& sent to prison.

	Many H1B's are doing fraud with US Immigration Department
	(www.uscis.gov) in these days & randomly they are checking
	H1B's papers.

	-----
	CSCS		Posts: 5	Registered: 6/14/08
	Hey, I read from other forums about how to get the very
	first job after paid and got certified from some SAP
	training programs in Canada. What was being told was you
	can just use school projects as your professional
	experience and the school will provide proof for you.

	So these canadians found jobs in US via TN visa with real
	world experience and certifications all from the same
	school.

	The most recent story was a gal added 3 years "experience"
	to her resume and landed an SAP support job starting in
	June, of course along with her certification. I believe
	her job is in US.

	---

	pjam1976	Posts: 4,285	Registered: 6/19/07

	Yeah and a guy who pretends some documents and forum
	chatter equates to 5 years of SAP experience is somebody
	who earned the right to get a job? Give me a break. I
	guess you can equate best and the brightest to the best
	at lying on their resume according to your logic. That's
	meritocracy. A place where you can't check on a H1B's real
	experience so you assume it's legit. Except half the time
	anymore it's far from the truth.

	There is nothing wrong with working hard to get what you
	want. But somebody who pretends he spent 5 years doing SAP
	when the reality is he spent 0 years doing SAP isn't
	somebody working hard to earn that job. They only got it
	because they lied and were an H1B. I wouldn't call that
	meritocracy at all.

	If it's easy for you to assume that US Citizens who aren't
	working are lazy and outdated and can't keep their skills
	up to date... I guess it would be easy to assume that the
	H1Bs are the dumb ones who couldn't find an IT job in
	India. That's the problem when you throw stereotypes
	around. It goes both ways.