[mdlug] Printing a lousy #$%^&* envelope.

Jim Broughton jbroughton at twmi.rr.com
Tue Mar 24 21:55:33 EDT 2009

I have been a linux user for about 10 years. I have never tried
to print an envelope under Slackware Linux using KDE and Cups.
I may never try again. Total failure. I am quite angry.
 My printing system consists of a Brother 5150D postscript laser
printer accessed over the network via a netgear printserver.
 The printer has 1 tray for 8.5x11-14 paper and a fold out manual feed tray
for envelopes and the like. It never fails to print 8.5x11 documents some
even quite complex and duplexed as well.
  Try as I might I cannot get this system to print a lousy #10 commercial
envelope. I have used Openoffice 2.4, 3.0, Koffice writer, Adobe PDF reader
(after sending the output to a pdf from OOO or Koffice writer).  I have
tried
printing it stright up with the selection for the printer set to #10
envelope,
I have tried setting margins, rotating 360deg in 90deg incriments. Nothing.
The closest it came was Adobe PDF reader put something on the envelope but
whoever programmed the PDF converter for KDE and OOO did not force
embeded/outlined fonts so it just prints boxes where the letters should be.
This sucks. It should be a no brainer. Anyone else have problems with
printing envelopes under Linux?

Jim