[mdlug] Blog of helios: Tempers Flare as Recession Creeps into Tec h In dustry

David Lane dcl400m at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 18 15:10:43 EDT 2009

At a site in California, I had a heated battle over Windows Vs. Linux on a project that I was in charge of.  I was a Regular staff and there was a contractor managing, My solution would have saved lots of money. Because we were going to flip a pc that was older and use MySQL.

Instead I was FORCED to use Windows and MSSQL.  The project was a success but every once in a while the ODBC drivers would error out. I still had admin rights to that server, and when the admin staff said that it was my fault as a programmer I spent 3 days looking at my code, I accually made it run faster, but I never found what they were talking about.

I finally crossed linked the web and data servers and found that I was right in the first place. I showed what I did to find the problem, witch made that admin staff MAD because I had to do their job to show what was realy wrong.  needless to say I lost my admin rights to the TEST and LIVE servers.

Those that chose to move forward in the Linux Era, are generally more open to many different I.T. resources.  in the long run you are more of a resource then those that take the easy path of Windows. I have to admit I have a mixed envirnment at home both Windows and Linux.  I prefer Linux but I conceed that there are many programs that are just just not available for Linux.

If My business got bigger I would use Linux as much as I could.  Accually I am, my web server is Linux (LAMP).

That is how Google got big.

David C. Lane