[mdlug] "Linux Format" March issue available for download

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 16:31:46 EST 2009

Michael Corral wrote:
> 2009-03-04, Monsieur Aaron Kulkis a ecrit:
>> Michael Corral wrote:
>>> Heh, they put "Linux Format" in a zip file (linux_format_116.zip)!
>>> Zip doesn't strike me as the most Linux-y of archive formats. :)
>> That's so those who don't yet have Linux can use it.
>
> I know that you haven't used Windows

not by choice

> since 1994,

actually, I never had a computer at home until I built
one in 1997 (before then, I just used the computers at
work... not that there was much I needed a computer for
back in those days anyways)

> but WinZip (the most
> widely-used zip software) has been able to handle tar.gz files since
> forever. And of course Mac OS X users would have no trouble with tar.gz
> either.

I was talking about the 7zip software being not widely
installed.  But I can see your point on tar.gz.

I always find it ridiculous when I see something specifically
for Linux being distributed in .zip format.  Immediately makes
me suspect the source -- "recent immigrant from Windows -- proceed
with caution! They probably made many silly MS-based assumptions
about how things should be configured and operate."