[mdlug] SEMCO looking for new meeting place

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Mon Mar 2 07:10:59 EST 2009

MDLUGers:

It seems that our joint install fest was SEMCO's last meeting at the
ArvinMerator campus. I just received an email indicateing that "...
effective immediately ArvinMeritor Inc. no longer will be providing
non-business use of our facility ..."

It is tempting to scratch the paranoia itch with speculation about
strings being pulled to put the kibosh on their nascent interest in
promoting Linux, but since ArvinMeritor is an automotive supplier, it is
much more likely about cost cutting.

At any rate SEMCO is now looking for venues where they can hole their
regular meeting. I understand they are looking into the Engeneering
Society of Detroit location in Southfield.

Those who plan to attend should check their web site for updates. (I
just checked, it hasn't been updated, still shows meeting at AM. But I
have received emails about the situation from several of their officers.

Raymond McLaughlin