[mdlug] reiserfsck and badblocks

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 14:51:32 EDT 2009

Wojtak, Greg wrote:
> Just curious - why not ext2 instead of ext3?  Fewer moving parts, and /boot doesn't do a huge amount of transactions where journaling may be needed?

because ext3 is more reliable than ext2 -- especially if you specify
the maximum level of  journalling.

> I'm curious because I always build my servers with ext2 on /boot and ext3 everywhere else.

Unless its programmed by mentally deficient 5th-grade children,
a journalled filesystem is always better than a non-journalled one.

That's one reason why I use XFS everwhere that I can.

Journalled filesystems also suffer much less fragmentation.