[mdlug] Blackberry Phones with Linux Email Servers

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Mon Jun 22 17:40:59 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-22 at 14:53 -0400, Clinton Weiss wrote:
> Ron Blanchett wrote:
> > Blackberry's can do IMAP and POP3.
> >
> > On 6/22/09, Robert Adkins <radkins at impelind.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Are there any methods available to use Blackberry Phones with Linux email
> >> servers? I'm looking for cost effective.

<snip>

> The app that comes with (my) Blackberry is crappy, even with IMAP.  It
> doesn't load folders or maintain (un)read status between my Blackberry
> and the IMAP server.
>
> I'm with Robert on this one.  Are there any better solutions?
>
> Clinton

	Dump the crackberry for a real handset. I'm pissed enough to do this
even before my contract runs out. I'm getting a Nokia E66
<http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokia-e66/specifications>,
the smaller, non qwerty keypad brother to the E71 Blackberry killer
<http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokia-e71/specifications>.
Of course you can go hog wild and get an E75
<http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/e75/specifications>.
Please be aware these are not carrier subsidized handsets, so you pay up
front for the handset. I see it as being much more cost effective in the
long run because I'm not hamstrung by a carrier, or the carrier specific
version of the handset firmware. I can actually run out my contract with
my current carrier, and add service on this handset for almost the same
minutes, gain functionality I don't have now and pay out the same
amount. If I find a better deal I can switch carriers because I have no
contract, only a month to month sim only plan. If you want a subsidized
handset that's similar there's the E71x
<http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokiae71x/e71xspecifications>. These "smartphones" run the Symbian OS <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbian_OS>.

Best Regards,
--