[mdlug] is it possible to dd a remote & live drive?

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Mon Jun 8 09:47:58 EDT 2009

The simplest way would be to get someone with hands&eyes to boot it
into a livecd for you, set up networking, etc.

presumably that's not easy but thought i'd mention it.

if all you have is access while the system is running, i'd suggest
shutting down all services except ssh, and doing a dump/tar/rsync
backup of the machine.  That'll give you a very good copy to work
with.

Next time, get yourself a co-lo site with hands & eyes and/or full
serial console access.  (or perhaps virtual server)

good luck.