[mdlug] reiserfsck and badblocks

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Jun 7 12:16:53 EDT 2009

G'day,

My backup hard drive is a USB drive formatted with reiserfs.
It appears to have a problem or two.  Running reiserfsck v3.6.19
gives the following error messages:

--- begin messages ---
bad_directory_item: block 13501589: The directory item [ ... ] has a
not properly hashed entry (67)

bad_leaf: block 13501589, item 8: The corrupted item found (...)

The problem has occurred looks like a hardware problem.

bread: Cannot read the block (56093157): (Input/output error).

--- end messages ---

I've run "debugreiserfs -B file /dev/sdb1" to get the drive's badblocks
list. This results in an empty file.

I've run "reiserfsck --badblocks file /dev/sdb1" where "file" is a
plain text file containing the block numbers shown above.  Following
this with "debugreiserfs -B ..." should produce an updated (and
expanded) badblocks list.  However I get the same empty file.

Am I doing something wrong???  Any suggestions of other things to try ?

Thanks,

David