[mdlug] Some odd experience recovering NTFS drive

Michael S. Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 6 05:31:07 EDT 2009

Yup, the drive is almost certainly toast.  However, if you need that one last
read to get your data off, an old trick is to chill the drive first by letting
it soak in the refrigerator for 5 hours or the freezer for 1.  I did this
before, and was able to extract the data before the drive went south again.

Another trick that some claim work is to strike the drive fairly hard against
a table before powering it up.  It /might/ reseat the bearings a bit and again
give you a chance to pull some data.  However, you probably want to do this
after all other methods fail.  If nothing else, the physical abuse to the damn
thing might give you some degree of satisfaction ;)

Cheers, Mike