[mdlug] Question - bulk aspect modification of image files

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Mon Jun 1 08:16:22 EDT 2009

I'm making a couple of graduation videos for my cousins. One of them's
due this weekend, and I've got quite a few pictures to place in the
video. But the software I'm using for videos is kinda brain-dead (it's
an old Windows program, that I'm using because it does what's necessary
and the output will be similar to previous videos I've done). If you
give it a picture where the aspect ratio isn't 4:3, it distorts the
image.

 So, I'm hoping to use Imagemagick or something similar to take the
existing pictures and frame them, set them on a colored background of
the appropriate size. I'm sure there's a way to do this, and I can
probably puzzle it out from the man page eventually, but I was wondering
if someone more familiar with the tools has done something like this
already?

 Thanks!

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                           (313) 227-2317

   "If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving
 an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without
      even considering if there is a man on base." - Dave Barry