[mdlug] OT: Hardrive - Good or Bad

Stan Green Stan at mcomputersolutions.com
Mon Jul 27 17:35:26 EDT 2009

I had a EIDE 250G WD drive in a RAID 5 array. The system failed the drive, so
I replaced it. (Yes, I am 100% sure I took out the right drive.) So a few
months later, I decided to see I the drive just had bad blocks and could be
fixed. So I put the drive in another PC and ran mke2fs -j -cc. This ran fine
and reported no errors. Then I ran smartctl -d ata -t long. This also
reported  (smartctl -H) no errors.

So what am I to believe; RAID, mke2fs or smartcl to tell me if the drive is
good or bad? Given 2 out of 3 say it is good, should I trust it?

Thanks,
Stan Green