[mdlug] Help diagnosing hardware problem - not solved

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Thu Jul 16 09:06:52 EDT 2009

> From: Ingles, Raymond

> So... I'll be looking at getting a new MB and video card, along with
> probably a new CPU. Should be able to keep the DDR RAM. My proposed
> budget is around $150, ideally less. Any suggestions? It doesn't need
> be top-of-the-line in speed - what they *already* have is overkill -
it
> just needs to be reliable.

 Well, I replaced the guts of the computer with a Gigabyte G31M-ES2L
motherboard, a 1.8GHz Celeron, and 1GB of RAM. Once I removed the old
nvidia-glx package everything seemed to come up fine. My dad can play
Peggle once more. :->

 I have the old MB, CPU, and RAM available if someone wants it.
Apparently the AGP slot is hosed, but with a PCI video card it'd make a
decent server. It's a Gigabyte K8NSC-939 motherboard, a 939-pin Athlon
64 3000+ CPU, and 1GB of DDR RAM. Free to a good home.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                     (313) 227-2317

 "Imagine a cluster of Windows machines. They'd have to have a
    team of MCSE's equipped with roller skates, just to keep
           pressing reset buttons." - Peter Jensen