[mdlug] (Update) Linux Computer at Computer Direct

Rich Elswick painbank at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 09:42:05 EDT 2009

If they add Cedaga, then they should get paid for every unit sold.
For me at least it was annoying the first time I saw something like
that.  Pay us and you can now play your games you have already paid
for.  Not cool at all and I would say one of the things holding back
Linux from a more widespread adoption rate.  Some foundations should
start paying developers (really the publishers probably)  to make
their software Linux friendly!

Hmmm.... Sounds like a good venture to start up!

On 7/9/09, Robert Adkins <radkins at impelind.com> wrote:
> They have the computer up and running on the salesfloor.
>
> It's priced at $299 and comes preconfigured to operate out of the box with
> the multi-function printers they have on the salesfloor that work perfectly
> with Linux.
>
> They have also pre-installed a series of software packages that are not the
> default install with Ubuntu and there is a recovery CD that will restore the
> machine to the state in which it is setup and configured at time of build.
>
> They are currently working out how they are going to advertise that they
> build Linux computers (with banners for the front window and over the
> location where the desktop unit currently sits) and they also intend on
> providing custom build solutions for desktops and servers.
>
> There are plans to do some additional customization of the install to add
> some Computer Direct branding and I have talked to them about considering
> getting in touch with Transgaming and or CodeWeavers to provide some level
> of Windows application support that is allegedly better than what Wine
> currently offers.
>
> There are also some plans on reviewing the "Roll your own" laptops they have
> on the shelf to confirm which units work 100% with Linux and then provide a
> few models with Linux as a preinstallation option.
>
> Anyway, that's where things stand right now.
>
> -Rob

Sent from my mobile device

Rich Elswick