[mdlug] how would you teach a class?

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Wed Jul 8 19:12:21 EDT 2009

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 17:18:23 -0400 (EDT)
Dean Durant <mdlug at wowway.com> wrote:

> Hello, I have a coworker who has asked me, how would I teach an intro
> class on linux. He thinks he can get some students together who would
> like to learn linux.
>
> At first I thought I would have the time and the motivation to really
> get involved with something like this but now I'm not so sure.
>
> He came up with a "linux bible" 2009 ISBN: 0470373679 (by:
> Christopher Negus) I don't know that something so general, or new,
> would be needed, what do people think?

	That actually looks fairly detailed and in depth, from the
	excerpts I read from Wiley's.

> I think we, or he, would really need an instructor too, I think this
> would be like a volunteer type of thing, although there is maybe some
> small chance of some payment. He says he has a location.
>
> I made a commitment to at least ask this group.
>
> thanks

	I've actually given some thought to doing something like this.
	I'm thinking about those people that have actually bought a
	Linux computer, either on purpose or by mistake. Target sells
	netbooks that run Linux and I can see someone getting/giving
	one and not knowing. Then there's Dell. At any rate, I'm
	thinking along the lines much less detailed than the book your
	guy picked out. I'm going to look at it for myself though. I'm
	thinking more along the lines of leaving Linux out of it and
	simply showing/explaining how to get the things done that need
	doing. Along the way introducing the different programs and how
	to set them up, if needed. My assumption is that the person
	allready has a working Linux computer and needs a little help
	figuring out how to use it. Any more is really over my skill
	level. I thinking set up an email client, import browser
	bookmarks, set up rss feeds, configure repositories, set up
	automatic updates and the like. FWIW
Best Regards,
--
Peter The Plumber sm