[mdlug] Wireless card question

David Lee Lambert davidl at lmert.com
Mon Jul 6 05:33:30 EDT 2009

(I also posted this at
https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=3324560&forum_id=323168 ,
but it looks like a lot of questions in that forum have gone unanswered):

I recently decided to try getting wireless to work on a certain laptop
again.  I now have an 802.11g access point configured to use WPA2/TKIP, and
it's working with another computer.  The card I'm trying to use is a Netgear
WN511B,  and it appears to have a Broadcom BCM43XG (rev 01) chipset.

Apparently there's no native driver for this card,  so I'm trying to use
ndiswrapper.  I downloaded the Windows driver and installed it with Wine.  I
installed ndiswrapper from source.  "ndiswrapper -i" followed by "modprobe
ndiswrapper" works,  but I don't see any new network device with "ifconfig
-a" or "iwconfig".

I think I'll need to run wpa_supplicant as well,  but the documentation says
that the network interface (wlan0 or whatever) needs to be present first.

Do I have to probe some other module for the card to work?  What should I
expect to happen when I gt it working?

Thanks for any advice.

--
DLL