[mdlug] Linux Desktops For Sale

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Wed Jul 1 14:50:32 EDT 2009

I'm not extremely well versed in it, I only discovered that this is possible
due to running Ubuntu off a USB stick and reading about how to create a
Ubuntu Live CD that will start the boot process and then tell it to continue
the boot process off of the USB Stick.

It's part of the mkisofs package. The use that gave me the idea of being
able to generate bootable Live CDs reinstall media came from this:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-boot-cd-for-xubuntu-904/#more-1643

Logically, you should be able to do the same with a fully installed and
operating system. One of the techs said that he did this sort of thing and
it worked for creating an Ubuntu Live CD off of the installed/configured
machine.

There's still going to be some testing performed to make certain that this
will indeed fulfill the need. If it doesn't, then there's going to have to
be something else worked out. Probably a DSL bootable CD with scripts that
start a dd process to basically dump and image onto the HD, after building a
set of partitions using the percentage method.

-Rob