[mdlug] Linux Desktops For Sale

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Wed Jul 1 14:00:52 EDT 2009

Neophyte and many regular Windows Users already wonder why a 200GB drive is
only showing up as roughly 187GB and have been known to go on and on about
how horribly misleading, dishonest and yadd-yadda that whole thing is.

Imagine someone like that looking at a computer with a 200GB Hard Drive and
then looking at the /home "drive" and seeing that it is "only" a mere 150GB.

It's already going to be difficult enough as it is to explain the concept of
the /swap partition as the reason why their computer should have 187GB
displayed for a 200GB hard drive, yet they only see it displaying between
180 and 185GB. (Assuming they run with just the /swap and the / partitions.)

First impressions are everything and if the first impression feels even
remotely dishonest, that's a reason to go with what "everyone else" uses.
Which brings everything back to ease and simplicity.

Still, the Live CD is going to be exactly the same as the standard Ubuntu
install CD, the only difference being in the fact that it will be
preconfigured for a particular configuration of hardware and printers as
well as have all the latest (At the time it was made) software updates
installed. There may also be some logo insertion and a few other elements.

-Rob