[mdlug] Linux Desktops For Sale

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Wed Jul 1 09:57:49 EDT 2009

More Information:

They are still working out the pricing, as I understand it, the systems will
be lower priced than identically configured Windows systems. It's going to
fall somewhere between bare hardware and with Windows to account for the
time/effort in configuring/testing the systems.

They are going to be providing recovery Media that will restore the system
to the original configuration, including any configured printers. Currently,
the plan is to create a "Live CD" of the installed/configured OS that when
used to reinstall the OS is supposed to put the system to the state in which
it was shipped to the customer, which means the printer the customer bought
with the system should work straight out of the box.

There's some discussion on whether it would be best to stick with the basic
Ubuntu install where it creats only two partitions, a giant / and a /swap
partition. For most people, it might be best to leave it like that. However,
going with at least a separate /home partition would allow for system
recovery without destroying user data, but a script would then have to be
written to allow the user to blow away probably corrupt setting files in
their /home directory and restore an original configuration copy of those
files that would be "hidden" in /etc.

The goal, is to keep things simple and uncomplicated for the average
computer user.

-Rob