[mdlug] 1.1 speeds from 2.0 USB pci card

Michael S. Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 03:32:35 EST 2009

Hi Mat:

This rings a (distant) bell.  Is it a "high-speed" 2.0 card?  If it is only
"full-speed", (s)he might be stuck.  I can't give you anything definitive, but
a few avenues of investigation:

http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

See questions 3 and 6.

Also see:

http://www.linux-usb.org/usb2.html

From this article, note that if the peripheral is USB 1.1 and the port is 2.0
Hi-Speed, then the link should work, but at 1.1 speeds.

Given the information, it appears impossible to tell if the controller is "Hi-
Speed" or not.  However, it really looks like the OS is not treating it like
2.0 (sorry if this is painfully obvious already):

00:0a.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 62)
00:0a.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 62)
00:0a.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 65)

By way of comparison, a similar line from my lspci:

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI
Controller #1 (rev 04)

Note the USB2 designation.

A final thought: the mobo BIOS might need to be upgraded ("flashed") to support
Hi-Speed USB.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely, Mike