[mdlug] Email BOFA Scam: FYI

Garry Stahl tesral at comcast.net
Mon Jan 26 09:40:01 EST 2009

David Lane wrote:
> I't just so messed up that people are doing this kind of stuff.

Old as the hills David at least it is now.  I get many a good example of
the "art" and so far always from "banks" I don't bank with.

This kind of scam is the main reason banks do not deal with customers
via e-mail.  It is too insecure.  I generally toss anything like that,
Pay-pal, ebay, any number of banks, the IRS (yes, I got one Friday in
fact.  Those I forward) And let us not forget our generous friends in
Nigeria whose rich relatives are dropping like files.

All it really requires is swiping the look and feel of a bank website,
not hard, constructing your fake site sending out your mails and reaping
the benefits of the foolish.  They obviously hook enough fish to keep
doing it.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org